Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Poo Factor

"I just don't think I could handle dealing with the poo..."

I cannot count the times I have heard that as a response to our family's choice to cloth diaper. You may even be thinking that to yourself.

The idea of cleaning human waste is not a delight for anyone and because I cloth diaper does not mean I get my jollies off of cleaning poo into a toilet. We use flushable liners at our house to try to avoid as much poo scraping as possible.

This reason for not wanting to cloth diaper has always made me think to myself "You have a baby....poop is going to be a part of your life no matter how hard you think you are trying to avoid it." And it is true. If you choose to go the disposable diaper route...your new baby is going to blow poop out of their diaper and into their clothes. It is only a matter of time. It happened ALL the time when we used disposables on LB as an infant. So I had to deal with poop all over her clothes...sometimes all over me. Then what do you do with those poopy clothes? You put them in your washing machine...HMMMM.

Even during a regular poopy diaper change with a disposable diaper you still have to wipe the heinie and smell whatever delight your beautiful angel has left for you.

I also find it interesting for those out there who opt for disposables for the "poo factor"...Did you know you are supposed to dump that poo in your sposie into your toilet too? Thats right...it says so right on the side of your pack of diapers. No joke. Go look.

Straight from the Pampers website:

Waste removal

As the Pampers bag recommends, you'll want to dump bowel movements in the toilet. Then just roll the diaper into its backsheet, using the tape or fasteners to keep it closed, and dispose of it in the trash.


Now I understand that probably 98% of people do not do this...or even know they are supposed to. But even the big name sposie companies have to put that notice on their diapers...because globally it is considered a MAJOR health issue to dump human waste into landfills.

Using that logic, the only thing that makes disposable diapers more convenient is the washing factor. You can toss them...don't have to store and wash them. The END.

Personally I enjoy the fact that ALL the poo that ever occurs in our house goes straight into the toilet (minus freak bathtime poo incidents..haha). It keeps our house smelling much MUCH better than it did when we had even the best of disposable diaper pails.

Bottom line (and keep in mind I DO understand that cloth diapering does not work for everyone): I have a very difficult time hearing the "poo excuse" as a final answer for people not giving cloth diapering a chance. I will smile and nod my head...maybe bring up the fact you wash poopy clothes and it is no different, because I refuse to be a "preachy, attack dog cloth diapering mom", but just know deep down below that smile...I think your reason is lame sauce.

2 comments: